Monday, May 16, 2011

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

I've decided that this blog is just for my personal entertainment. As no one really comments on my posts. Maybe its because I only updated it every once in a while.

My latest read: Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan:



Sorry for the Amazon.com image, it was all I could find that wasn't a movie poster.

So I actually started to read this book, got bored and read something else.

Just goes to show you that first impressions are rarely accurate. DEFINATELY WORTH A READ!

I saw the movie and was kind of annoyed that they changed a bunch of stuff, including the fact that the characters looked like they were all 17, which really doesn't work with the premise of the book. So I picked it up again.

And couldn't put it down till I had gotten a hold of and read all five books.

Percy is a kid with issues, he has ADHD and dyslexia and one day after his Math teacher turns into a monster and tries to kill him, he finds out why. He is a demigod, son of one of the Olympic Gods. I won't say who, that is part of the fun of reading the books!

If you like the myths and legends of ancient Greece and Rome, these books are for you. It was kind of like reading Harry Potter again (true story, there are some STRIKING similarities in the plot and the main characters), but instead of being about witches and wizards it is about gods and monsters.

Okay similaries between Harry Potter and Percy Jackson



Percy:

Has a prophey told about him that fortells his DOOM
  • Has a hero-complex, with the belief that he MUST help others
  • Doesn't know about his birth until a rather spectacular introduction by his Math Teacher turning into a Harpy and tries to kill him.
  • Risks everything to save the world
Is this ringing any bells?

Okay Harry:
  • Has a prophecy that fortells his DOOM!
  • Is fated to save the world.
  • Has a hero-complex
  • Doesn't know who he is until a Giant tells him.
Hmmm....someone should right a book about the similarities between heroes.

Oh wait some one has. If you are interested in Heroes and the patterns that they generally follow check out: "The Hero with A Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. It is more of a book about psychology, but still interesting. (By the way this is what I wrote my thesis on)

No comments:

Post a Comment