Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynn Jones

I like this book.

The book revolves around Sophie a young woman who is doomed to be the elder of three sisters, and everyone knows that the oldest sibling while be the sister who fails the most and hardest like in all of the fairy tales. Haunted by this fate she is doomed to inherit her father's hat shop and run it for the rest of her life.

This all changes when the Witch of the Waste turns Sophie into an old lady when she (the witch) thinks that Sophie is a competing sorceress.

Sophie leaves home right away to seek her fortune and ends up in Howl's moving castle as the cleaning lady, embarking on a crazy adventure.

I like Diana Wynn Jones for the most part. The only thing that gets me is her apparently random jumps from the fantasy world she has created to the known world. It kind of ruins the mood for me. I get into the fantasy world and allow everything to believable, then she slaps you with Wales or Modern Day Britain. It kinda throws off my groove. I think I like it when the story starts in the known world then descends into the fantasy world, like Harry Potter or Charlie Bone. But that is more personal preference.

I do like that not everything is revealed until the end, and that it is truly told by the point of view of one character (Sophie). Overall I liked it though! The characters were interesting, and Howl really seems like a horrible, heartless flirt.

The movie was really very well done. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese films, but I really like this one. It is definitely worth a shot! So read it and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment